Mud Running

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

After our very first mud run.
Over the past year, Josh and I picked up a new hobby. We did our very first Mud Run last October and just finished our fourth one. Each time we (and I mean I) do better and better. Josh is the best running partner. He is in terrific shape and during his time in the Army, he did a lot of running and he's fast. But every time we run, he makes sure to stay with me at my pace and he gently pushes me to do better. He never gets frustrated or upset with me that I'm quite a bit slower than he is. I feel like he is just as proud of me as I am when I finish. So, after this last one we decided to try something a little more difficult. So we signed up for the Tough Mudder. I am starting to regret that decision! I've been running and trying to get to where I can at least run the length of the course...it's about 12 miles. And to elaborate, there are obstacles such as jumping across haybales, running through fire, and the ending obstacle is called electroshock therapy, where you run through a field of hanging live wires that will shock you. Yes, I feel as if I may have made a mistake. :) So far, my furthest run to date is 5.61 miles and that was on Sunday. The hard part for me is that my pace is about a 10 minute mile, so running takes a while for me and now that daylight savings is gone, I tend to run out of daylight before I can even get started. But my goals for the Mud Runs were to not walk the course at all, which I've been able to accomplish. So I'm hoping that I won't have to walk on the Tough Mudder, but I'm not even close to 12 miles yet. I'm going to keep pushing and hopefully by January I'll be able to run 10 miles. That's my goal.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

I totally wanted to "like" this entry.

jackson3 said...

wow that sounds awesome! i know you can do it, i also run 10 min miles and i did my first 1/2 marathon last year. having a goal is the best way to stay in shape and i bet after running that far you will be hooked, i know am. i want to run a full marathon this year, even if it takes me over four hours! i am excited for you, that race sounds super fun!!!!

ab workout said...

Oh My, I wanna try this race also. It looks fun and its the best thing to begin our day. Thank you for sharing this one. This is a nice workout.