growing up

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

well october turned into a lot of growing up for miss ella. in my previous post, i mentioned that ella was starting preschool at little hands academy. let me just say that i absolutely love that school and i love the people who work there. she has wonderful teachers and i know that she is being cared for very well.

with that said, monday went very well. we dropped her off and snuck out while she was playing. the teachers told me that she whined a little for mommy when the other kids' parents dropped them off, but other than that she was great. then for naptime, they gave ella her paci and she went right to sleep and slept for two hours! i'm impressed. so i went to pick her up and she was so happy to see me. she has NEVER been that happy to see me! so all in all, it was a great first day of school. which brings me to today....oh my gosh, it was horrible! as soon as we got there, she would not let me put her down because she knew if she took her eyes off of me, i was going to sneak out. so we sat down and played with toys for a few minutes, but she was not going to let me out of there. so, i handed her over to the teacher as she was screaming hysterically for me. I had to walk out of the room with her watching me and screaming "No Mommy, no! I wanna go bye-bye with you. Mommy NOOOOOOO!" Traumatizing...for the both of us. I walked out of there practically sobbing and cried all the way to work, which let to a horrific headache that lasted the rest of the day. I called at 10am and they said she was doing great. Since I work with my mom, I shared my sad story with her and she was sad too. So at 5, we both went to Little Hands to see her. She was so happy to see me. She had tears in her eyes as she ran up to me saying "It's Mommy, It's my mommy, Hi mommy!" I love her so much. It broke my heart today, but I know that she's going to adjust and she'll make friends and learn how to be much more flexible throughout this process. I did, however, tell Josh that he would take her to school from now on. I can't go through that again.

In order to get Ella prepared for sleeping on the mat, we moved her over to her big girl bed on Saturday night. Let me just say that I was expecting the worst and she has done awesome! I think the fact that she doesn't use a night light and it's pitch black in her room helps a lot. If she got up, she wouldn't be able to see her toys or books anyway, so what's the point? The first night at 2:30am, she accidentally got out of her bed and couldn't see how to get back in. So I heard her through the monitor saying "I wanna go night night, I wanna go night night". So i went in there and placed her back in bed under the covers and she went right back to sleep. The second night, she fell out of her bed and I heard her crying. I ran in there and she told me "Mommy, I f-f-f-ell d-d-d-down". It was so sweet. So I put her back in bed again, and right to sleep she went. Since then, she's done perfectly. She took a 3 hour nap on Tuesday and has just been awesome at it. I attribute it to all of the hard work we did when she was a baby, teaching her how to put herself to sleep and making it known that night time is for sleeping not for playing. That and the fact that I think she's amazing at anything she tries. Now i do have a feeling that once she gets used to things, she's going to test us and get out of bed just to see what we do, but for now we are enjoying an easy transition.

Here are some pictures of my grown-up little girl.

Ella's first day of school:


Ella's 2nd day of school:

And here's Ella and Avery doing some super cheeses:

4 comments:

Laurie Heath said...

Oh my goodness, Paige -- I completely forgot to pray for the second day! It's always even worse than the first because they know what's coming, especially smart little/big girls like Ella. You'll probably have another couple of hard days before she fully trusts that you will indeed return EVERY TIME. And yes, it will go much better if Josh drops her off. Well, for Ella at least. ;-) I'm praying now for Friday!

Laura and Ryan said...

Paige, she is just so cute! I love the pics!

My mom said I cried every single day when she dropped me off at preschool and would hang on to the door and scream. LOL She said she would go back like 15 minutes later and I would be fine and playing and laughing. Then she said she got all psyched up to drop David off for his first day and he jumped out of the car and goes, "Bye Bye Mommmy. See you later." And was fine. We have the same personalities to this day. LOL

Did you guys do baby wise when she was little? Just wondering...

I'll be praying for her this week. You are such a great mom :)

Tricia said...

Now that I think about it, Piper didn't cry her first day at her new day care, but she did the second (and third, and fourth...). I would pout as I walked out of the room as I heard her screaming the whole time. But, as soon as I was out of sight, she was fine. It does get easier. By this time next month, she's be asking to go to school.

I am so nervous about switching Piper to a "big girl" bed. When she's in her crib, I don't worry as much.

jackson3 said...

I've been lucky to have Josie with my friend so far. Now she is sick and Joise may have to go to a daycare. I toured one yesterday and left in tears. I know it will be ok and she will do fine but I don't want to take her there, even if it is awesome and the people are great.

Wow in a real bed! We also are happy we taught Joise to sleep early in life but she is so roly poly I can't imagen her in a real bed!