preschool!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

i'm one of those crazy people who doesn't like vaccinations. i stopped vaccinating ella at six months because i started educating myself and decided that our children get way too many vaccinations before they are two years old. now, i'm not so hard core as to think that vaccinations aren't good at all, i just think that they are pushed too hard and given too many. i decided over a year ago that when she turned two, i would start catching her up slowly....on my schedule, not my doctor's. i feel like it's the parent's responsibility to know and have an opinion on their child's healthcare. and BE EDUCATED!!! doctor's don't always know what's best. i'm not saying that they are harmful to children, but i'm also not saying that they aren't. What I'm saying is PROVE to me that they are safe! Let's see some (unbiased) research!

okay, now that i'm off my soapbox.....i had to take ella to get her MMR and varicella vaccination this morning. now, i said i was going to wait until she was two to start catching her up but ella is starting preschool on Monday. I cried while she got her shots and watched as they pumped those viruses into her precious little leg and I cried all the way home and prayed that God would take care of her body and give her an amazingly strong immune system. It was really traumatic for me.

Ella's original day to start school was January 5th, but due to some recent health issues with our current arrangements we had to bump that up. I happened to call Little Hands yesterday, which is so hard to get into, and they had an opening for their 18-month MWF class. I happened to call on a whim, hoping they'd have an opening and they did. I just wasn't expecting her to say that she could start on Monday. While it's obviously better timing for us, Mommy is not ready for Ella to start preschool. Luckily Little Hands is on Josh's way to work, not mine. I'd cry every day for the rest of the year if I had to drop her off. We'll both take her on Monday, so a few prayers would be appreciated. It's hard to know that for her first (almost) two years of her life, she was loved on continually and cared for by Josh and myself primarily, and for the past two months her Nonnie watched her once or twice a week. So this is hard for me to let a stranger take care of my child. Are they going to kiss her every bump and bruise when she walks up and asks them to? Will she feel like she can ask her teacher to kiss her bo-bos? Are they going to give lots of hugs? Will she feel secure? There are so many things running through my head and I just hope that she adjusts well. I take comfort in knowing that if she absolutely hates it or Mommy feels like it's not time yet, I can always take her out and try again another time. She's also got to learn how to sleep on a mat. So you might say a few prayers for her teachers too :)

Here's to my beautiful little girl, who is growing up so fast right before my very eyes. I love you Ellabell and I hope you have so much fun at school.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

I won't lie - it's hard. Piper didn't cry for the first time this week when I dropped her off at daycare. I even stood there, telling her bye, waiting for her to cry. It took her more than a month to really adjust. I think that was harder than her actually crying when I left!!

It does get easier, I promise.

Laurie Heath said...

Based on my vast (and now somewhat vague) experience in this area, I can tell you with 99% certainty that this transition will be much much harder for you than for sweet Ella. Yes, she'll cry, maybe even for a month, and yes, she'll miss you. But every day is a new day for her, filled with the wonders of having lived in this world for only 18 months. She'll taste new things, touch new things, try new things that she wouldn't have with you (and some of those things will even be good for her!). You're the one who'll be conscious of missing her throughout the day and noticing how much she's growing up and wishing that she could be just your very own little Ella forever and ever.

Unfortunately for mamas, God gave us the tough job of loving every tiny thing about our kids WHILE letting them go away from us in ever-widening circles. We just have to gut it out and endure, knowing that they're doing exactly the job that God gave them to do.

I will be praying for you!

(And Tricia, I'm glad Piper's getting settled in now and you're seeing the end of the current tunnel.)

Laura and Ryan said...

Oh Paige. I'm not even a mom yet and this post made me kinda tear up. The only comfort I can offer is that when I taught Kinder, the parents always had a harder time than the kids. Every year on the first day of school my mom would come help me with the 'cryers' and she would end up having to hug and console the moms! The kids loved it and I think that shocked their parents. Anyway, that being said, I know when I'm a mom I'm going to be sooo worried about every new season of their little lives.

You are such a great mom and God is watching over your family and He will there with Ella the whole time.

I'll say prayers on Monday for all three of you and her teachers!

g+j said...

It makes me so sad that this transition is so hard for you, but remember, that's all it is-- a transition. It will pass, and I feel absolutely positive that Ella will LOVE preschool. She's just that kind of little girl who adapts well to things and likes interaction with other adults and children. And you wouldn't be sending her to Little Hands if you didn't feel it was the right place for her. Like I said the other day, we just need that push sometimes to move forward, and I think the fact that they "happened" to have an opening when you called just goes to show that this isn't so much of a "push" as it is God gently guiding you three (four!). It will be ok.

:)