Thursday, October 1, 2009

I was driving down 288 with Ella the other day and I realized that her future is my biggest worry. I was a lot of trouble to my parents in high school and college. I got caught up in lots of things I shouldn't have. I look back and think about how far away my life then is from my life now. I love everything about where I am and Ella and Josh bless me beyond belief. My parents raised me right. I was just a stubborn, bull-headed kid who was determined to get into trouble. I knew everything and was always right. My parents were stupid. So, my take on parenting is that you do the best that you can and you pray for wisdom and guidance from God and from there, it's up to your children. Luckily, my parents raised me in church and God never left my side. I realize that I could still be doing the same things (or worse) that I was doing seven years ago. Something about my personality coupled with the fact that I had faith in Jesus Christ brought me home. I just hope that Ella avoids a lot of my mistakes. And if she doesn't, I pray that God will steer her back, just like He did me. Knowing that one day, I will have to let Ella be the person that she wants to be is terrifying. I just pray that I am instilling values that will stay with her forever, no matter where she goes. She is my heart and I love her more than my own life itself.
Here is ella practicing good hygiene:
and then lovin on her brobee.
this one is a little fuzzy, but her new thing is to try and walk around in my shoes. she makes it about two steps and then falls out of them.
it was the first day of fall, so we had to put on our fall clothes! here she is cheesin it up.

4 comments:

Laura and Ryan said...

It's so hard to see her sweet little face and imagine a teenager! She is adorable in those shoes :)

I worry about having teenagers too, just because we all know that at one point or another we did the opposite of what our parents wanted. I think the biggest thing is that she knows that she can call you and that it is safe to tell you ANYTHING and that you won't get mad, just be there for her.

Also, the oldest are always the best. It's the youngest you have to watch out for ;)!

Laurie Heath said...

Raising kids definitely is a sobering, humbling task. I'm not sure how much more sober and humble I can stand to become!!! But the Lord is tender with us and never leaves our side. It astounds me to think that as much as I treasure my own two kids, He treasures them (and ME!) even more.

You're doing a beautiful job with Ella. Your life experiences have shaped her to be exactly the mommy she needs you to be.

xo

Laurie Heath said...

* (have shaped YOU to be...)

Tricia said...

I feel the same way. I am scared to death that every decision I make as a parent is wrong. I just pray for patience and the knowledge to be the best parent I can be to my little one.

And if Ella become rebellious, I have a feelling Piper will be right beside her. Ha!